Are you trying to step up your nail design game? Look no further than black butterflies. There are many ways to include them in a design, ranging from simple to complicated.
You can simply add some black butterfly decals to a solid color design, or you can have butterflies painted in great detail for a glamorous look.
They go well with glitter, rhinestones, and pretty much every other nail design element you can think of. Plus, being a neutral color, black butterflies can go with whatever color scheme you’re thinking of, whether it’s blue, neutral, or even ombre. So, are you ready to dive in? Let’s look at some of the most elegant black butterfly nail designs.
1. Black and Gold Butterfly Nails With Glitter
Black and gold is such a gorgeous color combination that screams luxury, and that’s especially evident in this nail design.
The solid black on the edges and the gold glitter create a dramatic frame for the black butterflies in the center, drawing attention to them. Buy these nails at Etsy.
2. Black Butterfly Ombre Short Coffin Nails With Glitter
You can get away with having all your nails be the same, but sometimes it helps to have a little variety.
The combination of the nude and black sugar, solid black, and butterfly nails all work together to create an eye-catching design. Buy these nails at Etsy.
3. Black Long Coffin Butterfly Nails With Pink Rhinestones
If you want your black butterflies to stand out, one way to do that is to paint all your nails a solid color (black, in this case). Then, have only one nail with butterfly decals.
I also love the addition of rhinestones. Black and pink naturally go well together, and the sparkliness of it works to make the ring finger design stand out even more. Buy these nails at Etsy.
4. Black Butterfly French Tip Nails
5. Black Long Coffin Nails With Rhinestones and Detailed Butterflies
Instead of using butterfly glitter, you can swap it for more realistic butterfly decals for a more mature look. Then add some black rhinestones in between to keep the color theme consistent. Buy these nails at Etsy.
6. Black Butterfly Wing Nails With Rhinestones
If butterflies feel a bit cutesy to you, you can always choose to highlight butterfly wings in your design instead, like this one. Then add some solid black nails and rhinestones to your ring finger to finish the nail design. Buy these nails at Etsy.
7. Black Rose/Lace/Butterfly Almond Nails
Black butterflies work well with other gothic elements, such as roses and lace patterns. Buy these nails at Etsy.
8. Black and Yellow Nails With Daisies and Butterflies
These nails are kept largely simple, allowing the ring finger’s black butterfly and daisy design to stand out even more. Buy these nails at Etsy.
9. Nude French Tip Nails With Black Butterfly Details
Are your nude french tip nails looking a little plain to you? Consider adding some black butterfly details to make it pop. It contrasts with the nude color for a bold statement that’s impossible to miss. Buy these nails at Etsy.
10. White and Black Butterfly Wing Nails
I love gorgeous nail designs that put half of the butterfly on one nail and half on the other. It creates a sense of symmetry that brings the look together.
Then, add some rhinestones and a bit of gold glitter to finish off the radiant design. Buy these nails at SHEIN.
11. Nude Nails With Black Butterflies
Remember the nude french tip nails with black butterflies?
Well, you can actually make the design even simpler by going for plain nude nails with black butterflies. It’s perfect for creating a sense of minimalistic elegance. Buy these nails at SHEIN.
12. White French Tip Nails With Black Butterflies
And speaking of minimalism, this look keeps things simple as well, with french tips on the ring and index finger that are accented with little black butterflies, while the rest of the nails are kept nude. Buy these nails at SHEIN.
13. Blue French Tip Nails With Black and White Butterflies
Of course, you can also go full-on color like these nails. I love the color contrast of the bright blue and the white and black butterflies.
It’s a unique look that’s sure to add a final, interesting touch to whatever outfit you’re wearing. Buy these nails at SHEIN.
14. Black Butterfly Nails With Abstract Lines
This nail design caught my eye immediately since it puts an edgy spin on the classic black butterfly look. This is especially evident with the pinky and thumb designs, which make the butterflies look like shadows are consuming them.
There are also the slightly disturbing hair-like lines on the index and middle fingers that have a creepy vibe to them. Overall, this would be a great look for Halloween nails or to accessorize an edgy outfit. Buy these nails at SHEIN.
15. White Nails With Black Butterflies and Abstract Lines
This design has abstract lines as well, but the clean look to them eliminates the creepiness factor.
I can’t help but love the contrast between the black and the white, and the rhinestones add a finishing touch to make the design truly shine. Buy these nails at SHEIN.
16. Gold Glitter and Black Butterfly Nails
This nail design also pulls off the half-and-half butterfly look. I also like how both hands have different nail designs, which creates some asymmetry and variety. Buy these nails at Amazon.
17. Nude and White Ombre Nails With Black Butterflies
If you’re not looking for intense contrast, try creating an ombre look with white and nude as the backdrop for your black butterfly design. Buy these nails at Amazon.
18. Leopard and Black Butterfly Nails With Rhinestones
Why settle for one black-on-white design when you can go for two? I love the combination of the contrasting colors and the design elements (namely, the leopard print and butterfly wings).
It’s truly a nail design you can’t look away from. Buy these nails at Amazon.
19. Black/White/Silver Glitter Nails With Butterflies
I always love a design with glitter accents, but this design shows it’s okay to go all-out.
From the silver glitter on the ring finger to the white glitter on the middle finger and even the glitter on top of black butterflies, this design incorporates plenty of glitter in a way that looks more glitzy than gaudy.
20. Black Butterfly Wing Nails With Pink Glitter and Rhinestones
Do you believe in love at first sight?
Well, I have to now that I’ve seen these nails. The carefully placed and color-coordinated rhinestones, the colored foil, and the detailed black butterfly wings make it clear that plenty of work went into this design.
And in effect, this sparkly design would be enough to complete your look for a formal event.
21. Pink Nails With Black Butterflies and Blue Rhinestone Details
This one takes a more cutesy approach to the black butterfly design, and I’m all here for it. The small butterflies, blue rhinestones in a polka dot pattern, and the pink backdrop all contribute to the cuteness.
Plus, the addition of the monogram here makes it perfect for when you want your nails to reflect you.
Summary and Top Picks
I hope you enjoyed taking a look at some of the best black butterfly nail designs. Black is a great color because it’s neutral, so it matches many different outfits. Personally, I love the color in this context because of how it creates a dramatic yet elegant statement. Hopefully, these ideas will help you get closer to finding the perfect design you’re looking for.
I have to say that these are some of the most gorgeous nail designs I’ve ever seen, so narrowing it down to my favorites makes me feel like I’m betraying some of them. Still, if I had to pick, I’d say my favorites were:
- #1 Black and Gold Butterfly Nails With Glitter: I like how the gold glitter frames the butterflies and makes them stand out. Plus, gold and black are such a glamourous color combo.
- #6 Black Butterfly Wing Nails With Rhinestones: I love the detail of the butterfly wings and the pop of color from the rhinestones, which stands out against the black.
- #20 Black Butterfly Wing Nails With Pink Glitter and Rhinestones: The rhinestones were meticulously placed and perfectly coordinated. The butterfly wings are also captured in detail here, and the glitter in the background adds a colorful twist.
But I’d love to hear from you. What outfits would you wear with a black butterfly nail design? Let me know in the comments below!